Birth Certificate Error

Birth Certificate Error. The Name on My Child’s Birth Certificate is Incorrect – What Can I do?

Birth Certificate Error

If your child’s name has been incorrectly entered on their birth certificate as in there was a clerical error of some sort, a Miami Family Law attorney can help.

There are a few different ways to do this and it depends upon the current age of your child. If your child is a minor there is one process and if they have reached the age of majority (with few exceptions) they can still change their name through a separate procedure. If your child is a minor, we can help you change the name that was entered incorrectly on your child’s birth certificate by application and payment of fees to the Department of Health (see Florida Statute §382.016; Fla. Admin. Code R. 64V-1.002).

However, we must be able to include proof that the name on the original birth certificate is incorrect. The proof usually includes a form of a notarized statement that includes a statement of the correct name of the child, the date of birth, the parent’s names, and the date that the document was established. If your child has reached the age of majority, they can still apply for the name change, but through the “normal” statutory procedure that applies to all adults who would prefer a change of name.

If you need help amending your child’s birth certificate because it bears an incorrect name, give us a call at +1.786.309.8588.